ACTION ALERT: Ask Congress to Support Priority Sportsmen’s Issues Today
With deer seasons across the nation winding down, and the holiday festivities ramping up, it’s easy for our minds to wander from deer and conservation, and it’s even easier for our minds to wander from polarized politics. However, as the year, and the Congressional session, comes to a close, a few important pieces of conservation legislation are still on the table. These bills have been introduced as a package, and the specific provisions include: “Open Until Closed,” Target Practice and Marksmanship Training Support Act, Pittman-Robertson Modernization, and a host of others.
- “Open Until Closed” requires that lands managed by the US Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and the US Forest Service shall be open to hunting, fishing and shooting unless specifically closed to those activities. Hunter access is one of the National Deer Alliance’s top priorities. This bill would ensure that millions of acres of public land remain open to outdoor pursuits.
- The Target Practice and Marksmanship Training Support Act provides for construction and expansion of public target ranges. The bill achieves these ends by allowing states to utilize federally-provided funds with more discretion. Again, more and better ranges equate to more opportunity for outdoor recreation. More opportunity can only lead to more recruitment of shooters and hunters – something the NDA strongly supports.
- The Pittman-Robertson Modernization Act updates the longstanding Pittman-Robertson Act, which directs taxes from hunting and fishing related purposes to state agencies for the management of game and fish. The Pittman-Robertson Modernization Act expands state discretion to spend those tax dollars on “any activity or project to recruit or retain hunters and recreational shooters.” As noted, the NDA strongly supports efforts to recruit and retain hunters, and this bill allows states to do so in the manner best suited to their citizens.
This bill package could have significant impacts on deer and deer hunters. Even more, many of these bills garner bipartisan support. Join the NDA in support this package of sportsmen’s bills. Email or call your federal lawmakers, and those listed below to let them know that you support “Open Until Closed,” the Target Practice and Marksmanship Training Support Act, the Pittman-Robertson Modernization, and other, similar bills.
House of Representatives
- Speaker of the House: Speaker Paul Ryan (Wisconsin) 202-225-0600
- Majority Leader: Kevin McCarthy (California) 202-225-4000
- Minority Leader: Nancy Pelosi (California) 202-225-0100
- Minority Whip: Steny Hoyer (Maryland) 202-225-4300
- Senate Majority Leader: Mitch McConnell (Kentucky) 202-224-2541
- Majority Whip: John Cornyn (Texas) 202-224-2934
- Minority Leader: Chuck Schumer (New York) 202-224-6542
- Minority Whip: Dick Durbin (Illinois) 202-224-2152